Monday, June 7, 2010

Sunday Cookbook Adventures: Brazilian Skirt Steak with Cebollas Fritas

In my quest to empty my freezer of random meats that I purchased on my last trip to Blood Farm (so that I may return and purchase more meats... perhaps in a less random fashion), I needed to find something to do with skirt steak. I'd been meaning to return to New World Kitchen ever since the Pork Curry that blew my mind, and this seemed like as good a time as any...
The dish was Churrasco de Sao Paulo a la Parilla con Chimichurri Rojo, which is Brazilian Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Rojo. The recipe insists that I top my grilled steak with Cebollas Fritas (essentially onion rings, but with melted Manchego cheese on top). I wasn't setting out to make a grilled steak topped with onion rings topped with cheese, but who am I to argue with Norman Van Aken? He writes, "I do ask you to prepare it the way they do in many Brazilian steak houses, with cebollas fritas." Thus, dutifully, I complied. The Chimichurri Rojo (which Van Aken refers to as "sort of an Argentine Worchestershire") comes together quick and easy, with red wine vinegar, olive oil, paprika, cayenne, minced garlic, black pepper, cumin, bay leaf, and salt.
I dumped the ingredients in a bottle and shook until combined. The meat, as I mentioned, is skirt steak. I'd never worked with this cut before, but am now officially a fan.
The steak was tossed in a bag with a bit of the Chimichurri and left in the fridge to marinate overnight...
Before throwing the meat on a hot grill, there was a bit more prep. The Cebollas Fritas start with eggs and milk, to which thin-sliced onions are added and allowed to soak for a half hour (stirring occasionally).
Around the time you're heating the grill for the steak, it's also time to dredge these onions in seasoned flour, before frying to golden perfection at 350°F.
These are put in a baking dish,
and topped with grated Manchego.
The onions then go into a 400°F oven for 10 minutes just before serving.
The final ingredients are some chopped "assorted olives" and a bit of parsley (which will show up at the end).
While that final business with the onions is going on, the steaks are being grilled to perfection...
After allowing the steak to rest for a few minutes, it's time to plate. The onions top the steak, as instructed, and it's actually a pretty elegant dish. Garnish with olives and parsley, serve additional Chimichurri Rojo on the side, and sit back to be impressed with how awesome you are for having made this:
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this dish, but it was pretty fantastic. I'm a sucker for onion rings, and the Manchego took them to another level. The steak was tender and delicious, with a kick-ass, smoky, spicy, vinegary bite from the marinade. Best of all, this looks kind of impressive without taking any real work. As I mentioned above, I'm now officially a fan of skirt steak, and I'm also an even bigger fan of this cookbook than I was when the weekend started.

3 comments:

Max Power said...

hlhlhlhllhlllll.....

That's the sound of uncontrollable drool.

emmo said...

Heh. =)

This is definitely one of those meals where hours before dinner you start looking forward to your meal... so much so that you can almost taste that awesome steak... Mmmmm...

Jun Belen said...

Wow! I love skirt steaks -- they require minimal work but very very tasty. And those onion rings plus manchego cheese... I have to try that out soon!