Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Random Awesomeness: A Band and a Tree

In non-culinary, non-bunny news, there were a couple good items to report this past week. On Wednesday, I rolled over to House of Blues with my friend, Joe, to see The National in concert (again). As with the first time I saw them, they totally and completely rocked my world.
They played a lot of songs off of the newest album, but in general the show was a good mix of the last 3 albums.
They played pretty much every single song I was hoping they would (including rocking the house on Abel and Mr. November, as they do...), and again impressed me with how very awesome they sound live. Joe noted in the car on the way back (when I was playing Boxer) that songs like Squalor Victoria almost sound better live, since the band rocks them a little harder in concert...
Perhaps because I was riding the high from that awesome night, but more likely because I've finally become fed up with the lime leaf quarantine, I went ahead and purchased a Kaffir Lime tree on Friday. I picked up supplies at Home Depot over the weekend, and was ready for planting when it arrived at my door on Monday. As with everything I do in my kitchen that he can get to, Charley decided to help.
A layer of rocks goes in the bottom of the pot to help with drainage...
While waiting for me to add the potting soil, Charley decided to inspect it for quality...
My tree was looking pretty good for having spent 2 days in a box...
Here it is all planted:
And, look! A little tiny lime!
I threw it in the bathtub for its first watering, which resulted in dirt spraying everywhere (thus making me feel very clever...).
Right now the tree is living in my kitchen, enjoying a couple days of shade to recover from transit. I'm still deciding where it can live to soak in lots of sunshine... I'll let you know how things go, but I'm really really hoping I can manage not to kill it...We shall see...

UPDATE: Here's my tree in its new home... It looks like it should get a good amount of sun here... I'm feeling confident for the moment about my chances of not killing it...

1 comment:

Midge said...

I got a meyer lemon tree for my b-day. I haven't replanted it yet and am also really really hoping that I don't kill it.