Sunday, June 13, 2010

Everyday Yumminess: Salmon Rillettes

Before I got really irritated with Alfred Portales, I was a fan... based solely on this dish. It's easy to make, and is a great way to use all that salmon that Thomas Keller is constantly telling you to reserve for another use (e.g. that pile on the scale in this picture)... The poaching liquid for the fresh salmon consists of white wine, champagne vinegar, shallots, and a bay leaf.
While the poached salmon cools, an equal amount of smoked salmon is puréed,
then beaten together with (Amish) butter until well-combined.
Mayonnaise, lemon zest, chives, and dill are mixed in...
...then it's time to add the poached salmon, gently flaking it and being careful not to over-mix.
Plate up on some toasted brioche points, and you have yumminess.
I make a smoked salmon spread that I love, but this is a much more sophisticated use for smoked salmon. I hadn't made this in years, and now that I've tasted it again I can't remember why. I'll definitely have to put this one back in the rotation... at least until I work my way through all the salmon trimmings that Thomas Keller has made me store in my freezer "for another use."

No comments: