Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Kennedy School, Wine Tasting, and Corndogs...

A few more days of vacation under my belt, and I've managed to squeeze in a few more of the requisite activities (even if one didn't quite work out, as I'll whine about below). After an extended-family function on Sunday, Alicia and I headed over to Kennedy School for dinner. The service was pretty atrocious, but the beer was great and the food (my standard order of the Captain Neon Burger) was pretty damned tasty, too. The weather here has been absolutely gorgeous, so it was nice to get to sit out on the patio and enjoy it.
Monday was mostly spent lounging out on the patio with my book, making up a double-batch of Scorching Chile Chicken (one just a little scorching, the other scorching enough to make even Alicia's friend, Priya, from India have to fan her mouth...), and spending some quality time with the family (also out on the patio). On Tuesday we headed down south for a bit of wine tasting. Have I mentioned that the weather is gorgeous here? It really really is...
(A hat-tip to Stanley for taking the last two of those photos...) After a couple wineries, we stopped for lunch at The Dundee Bistro. Stanley, Alicia, and Priya all ordered pizzas, including one with blue cheese, grapes, and bechemel:one with potatoes, portabellas, and bechemel:
and a Pizza Margerita:I went with Alder-Smoked Salmon and Dungeness Crab Melt, served on a Ciabatta roll:The pizzas received good reviews, particularly the portabella/potato version, but my sandwich was a bit disappointing. That the smokiness of the salmon overpowered the crab meat shouldn't have surprised me, but I was surprised that they used relatively crappy cheese given that it was a high-end-ish restaurant and Oregon is pretty good cheese-making country... Wine tasting was a lot of fun, though, particularly since it was Priya's first time trying wines other than port. In the evening we headed down to Yur's for what we hoped would be an evening of video bowling and mini corndogs. The mini-corndogs and stiff gin & tonics were just as I remembered them:but, tragically, Stanley and Alicia were apparently single-handedly keeping Siler Strike Bowling profitable, and it had been replaced with a stupid golfing game after they moved to Dubai. Today I'm off to have lunch with Maggie, then Stanley and I are planning on intruducing Priya to the joys of trashy Mexican food come dinner time...

No comments: