Thursday, July 23, 2009

Greetings, Humans...

So, for reasons that I don't necessarily want to get into the details of here (those of you who know me know the reasons, or can e-mail me if you don't), I left my house fully human this morning, but returned from the hospital part cyborg. It's kind of a trip. I had the world's most awesome anesthesiologist for my surgery. While I was waiting for the doctor to come by she was like "So... Do you wanna get stoned? It's legal, you know... and I've got all these drugs..." and just before surgery she was like "Let's get you stoned out of your mind, OK?" She also gave me something that she said was for caffeine headaches, since we'd discussed our mutual love of espresso... She cracked me up, and apparently did a great job because I don't remember much of anything between that moment and the recovery room (just a couple minutes of being woken up to make sure my cyborg parts were being put in the right places). Anyway, I am now officially part cyborg... which apparently involves having a tingly ass but also involves having a chance at pain-free ankles for pretty much the first time in 12 years.
I've got all these post-surgery restrictions that mean no cooking, cleaning, or crawling into bunny cages for a couple weeks. Thus, I've been hard at work the last couple weekends to stock my freezer with lunches and dinners:
(That's Indian Chicken with Spinach, Cauliflower, Chicken, Potato, and Pea Curry, and Moroccan Chicken and Couscous Soup. There's a second layer behind the visible layer, too... Last night I went out to stock up on rabbit food, too, so now the entire bottom half of my fridge is filled with veggies chopped to Pedro-nommable sizes:
My plan with the bunnies was to place their food outside of the cage so I wouldn't have to crawl in to put it in the usual spot next to the water bottle.
The problem with this plan was that they are very secure eating in their nice safe cage, but extremely uneasy about eating (serious eating, that is... not just snacks) out in the open. They left a big ol' pile of greens there this morning when they decided the stress was just too much to take... Thus, with 15 minutes to spare before heading out to the hospital, I constructed a structure such that they would know they were safe from hawks while nomming.
This worked really well (especially after I added a rear entrance on the left at Pedro's request), and there was not a single speck of food left in the new nomming area when I got home. I'm off to take some more pain meds and relax. It's been sort of a crazy day, and everything (and the long-term implications of everything) are still sinking in. More later...

No comments: