Thursday, January 29, 2009

Elevator Encounter...

So, I'm on the elevator at work alone when an old man (maybe around 60 years old, and probably a contractor, not one of my co-workers) gets on. He nods at me to acknowledge my presence, then chuckles a little. This exchange followed:

Chauvinist: Well, you're lucky.
Emmo: Why is that?
Chauvinist: You didn't have to deal with the ice this morning. Either your husband did it, or you're single and your dad or brother did it.
(Elevator doors open. Chavinist exits. End scene.)

Now, in Malaysia I met several men who thought it was very strange that I didn't live with my parents even though I'm not married, but I was under the impression that women in America living on their own (digging their own cars out from the snow, scraping the ice off of their own windows) is a pretty common thing... I felt like I was in a time warp or something... At least he didn't call me "doll" or comment on the relative quality of my gams...
In other news, my rabbits officially have names: The black mini-rex is Federico (Rico for short, aka Rico Sauve when he's feeling sassy)...
...and the mini-lop is Pedro (although I can already tell he will mostly end up going by "Dork-butt" and "Stupid-head," which, coming from me, are terms of endearment when applied to pets) because when I look at him that's the only name that comes to me...

4 comments:

Stanley said...

I find it odd that he didn't just assume you have covered parking...

He was clearly insane.

Max Power said...

So wait, I'm confused, who's in Boston? Your dad, brother or new husband?

emmo said...

Yeah... Um, I guess he's working with the assumption that I would live under my father's control until he handed me over to a husband in that great exchange of woman-as-property known as "marriage"... So if I'm in Boston, one of the men who is the boss of me must live here, too...

It never occurred to me to wonder why he didn't add "she has covered parking" to his long list of random assumptions... =)

Midge said...

Nice gams.

Man Dan is seriously slacking in the brother department.