Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bowling, Chili, and Rocking Out

Thursday night I had the chance to go Wii it up with Max and Midge. After being reminded of my highly competitive nature, I think it's pretty clear that I'm going to have to buy a Wii of my own when I get settled in Boston so that I can eventually be somewhere near being in the same league as my Wii-owning friends... I am also becoming a much bigger fan of cats after spending time in the company of the fabulous Bianca (who is quite the shameless snuggle-whore...).
First up was my very favorite Wii game: Bowling! I feel like I have the potential to be a fantastic virtual bowler if only I could practice a bit more. Max You-Can-Call-Me-"Coach" Power introduced me to the magic of the Slow Bowl, which has vastly improved my game (even if my technique isn't quite as impressive as his just yet)...
After a bit of bowling we took a break to sample some of Max's Chili served with Midge's cornbread. As she may write about at her blog one of these days, Midge apparently has a bit of a history with cornbread mishaps. It's extraordinary, really, since Midge is pretty darned good at almost everything I've seen her attempt (including non-cornbread cooking), but the kitchen gods just do not seem willing to let her get a batch of cornbread to the table without incident. In the end, though, I thought this batch ended up being pretty good and it was tasty with Max's Chili (shown below with hand-cut cheese and crushed corn chips). I'd never tried the chips-in-my-chili thing before, but it was pretty good. I'm not sure it would work with my chili, but it was nice with Max's (which wasn't as aggressive on the spices).
After a bit more bowling Max convinced me to try Guitar Hero. I was pretty sure I would not enjoy this game, and I was totally wrong. Midge let me use her axe, Constance, and I played on "Easy" while my hosts played at a higher level. It was really all I could do to get my fingers on the right "strings" most times, much less to then strum when I'm supposed to, so I was in awe of the skill level I was up against... Perhaps I'll have to get myself a Guitar Hero kit after I've mastered bowling on my Wii (when I eventually buy a Wii, that is)...

3 comments:

Midge said...

The dreaded cornbread . . . this one actually tasted a lot better the next day. I swear one of these days I'll make a decent batch!

Max Power said...

Your chili comment is funny. "Not aggressive on the spices" is, I believe, a polite way to say my chili is kind of bland. That's cool, I know it is. I grew up in the midwest, and that's my dad's recipe. I'm glad you came over and ate some, and you really picked up Guitar Hero quickly! I hope your trip to Boston goes well.

emmo said...

I'm not politely saying it's bland... It's sort of like what I always say about the Syrah/Shiraz thing: Syrah tends to be more subtle and complex, whereas Shiraz tends to be a (fruity/jammy) punch in the face. My chili (and my dad's even more so) tends to be a punch in the face. That's not necessarily a good/better thing for most people, and I think often complexity/subtlety is lost in all the aggressive spicing and figurative face-punching. =)