Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Awesome BrewCo Food and Lame Sushi...

I have an arbitrary goal of posting (something non-bunny-related) about once a week, which I seem to be falling short of at the moment. Thus, here I am on Wednesday posting about some good (and bad) food I found in my neighborhood on Saturday... It's unbelievable to me that it's almost March already, by the way. Time moves sort of insanely fast when you're busy, I guess, but wow... Anyway, during my first full totally-unpacked weekend in Waltham, my friend Joe drove out to visit me on Saturday afternoon. It had been a very long time since I'd had the pleasure of hanging out with Joe, so it was definitely a welcome visit, especially in this new city where I'm still working on the whole friend-making thing. It was also nice because Joe is extremely awesome. (And I'm not just saying that because he might read this at some point... Hi, Joe!)
Trying to embrace this whole "spontaneity" thing, we set out for Moody Street with no real destination in mind, hoping to see if it was as full of cool restaurants as rumor had indicated. Our initial decision was to try Sadie's, where I plan to do my NFL-watching come September (yes, I have already invested a solid chunk of time figuring out what sports bar will be best for me... you don't want to leave these things until the last minute), but as we (finally) found a parking space I saw that the sign on the place across the street from Sadie's said "Brewing Company" at the bottom. Thus, always up for a good micro-brew, we decided to check out Watch City Brewing Company instead. This felt like a gamble since the exterior of the building seems to be going for a trashy-diner-chic vibe, but the interior was surprisingly nice. Turns out Watch City has beer ranging from really good (the Stout) to good (the IPA) to odd (the Christmas-y one that Joe tried) and food that is quite delicious. Joe decided to check out their version of a pulled pork sandwich, being quite the connoisseur of such things, and said that it was actually the best he'd ever had.
I went with the Lamb Burger with Feta Spread, which was the first thing I saw when I picked up the menu and struck me as a brilliant idea. My only complaint is that the waiter asked how I wanted it cooked (medium-rare), which he probably shouldn't have done if they were going to just cook it past medium anyway... But if he hadn't asked then I would have been content with the burger as it was (cooked to about the doneness I've come to expect from most restaurants), and the feta spread with its hint of rosemary was an absolutely brilliant compliment to the lamb burger.
The fries (which were of the "seasoned" variety) were actually pretty good, too. I will definitely have to check this place out again, if only to try the rest of the beers that they make. They are among the 51 restaurants that deliver to my apartment, but I don't think they deliver the beer so I'll just have to go ahead and drive the ~1 mile to eat in...

Saturday night (a few hours after Joe had started his long drive home) while perusing the menus of those 51 places that deliver to my apartment, I decided that sushi seemed like a good idea for a late dinner (because sushi is pretty much always a good idea for a kid like me). I've had a bad delivery-sushi experience in the past, but that was in Raleigh, NC... and in New Orleans, LA, now that I think about it... OK, so in hindsight I shouldn't have hoped for much. I ordered Unagi Donburi which is one of my favorite things on the planet. I make it for myself pretty frequently (it's actually fantastic for breakfast...), but I haven't gone out to buy eel here yet, so I decided to go ahead and order it. Plus: It's impossible to screw up eel on a bed of rice, right? Ummm... apparently not. This was actually kind of gross. I have no idea how they found a way to make it taste less than delicious, much less to make it taste bad... but they did. Sigh.
I ordered a couple rolls, too, which turned out to be brilliant given that I didn't feel like eating much of the eel. The Philadelphia Roll (yes, I know it's not authentic in any way, but I love me some cream cheese in sushi rolls...) was delicious and definitely the highlight of the order. The Spicy Tuna Roll was way too spicy, which isn't to say it was too spicy for my palate (it's hard to make things too spicy for me), but it was too spicy to taste the tuna at all. Lame.
So, yeah... Note to self: Stop trying to order sushi for delivery. Seriously.

I may have another friend from relatively-nearby coming to visit this weekend, and hopefully we'll venture out and find more exciting restaurants in the surrounding areas. In general, life continues to be good. I love my job. I love my apartment. I love my ridiculously adorable rabbits. If sub-par sushi delivered to my door is the worst thing that happens to me in a given week, then who am I to complain?

No comments: