Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Seriously, California? Seriously?!?!

So, like many of my chardonnay-swilling arugula-eating comrades in the liberal elite, I've been experiencing an unfamiliar feeling for the last 24 hours... I think I've moved beyond "cautiously optimistic" about the direction things in America are headed and gone straight to "hopeful." I can't remember the last time I had any positive feelings about our government, much less any sense of hope for the future. It's quite refreshing, actually... Nicely done, America.

Then, just as I'm feeling so very good about the fact that Americans seem capable of moving beyond irrational prejudice to make decisions that are best for the country, I find out that the voters in California are still holding tight to a different irrational prejudice. I guess I'm pretty closed-minded, because I cannot even begin fathom how anybody could believe that the marriage of two people unrelated to you in any way can have any impact on your own life/marriage to the extent that you feel you must ban unions you don't approve of. I thought California was better than this, but I guess I was wrong... I'm honestly feeling pretty angry about this right now, but mostly I guess I'm just feeling extremely disappointed in people...

Anyway, the just-barely-a-majority group of prejudiced hateful voters in California aside, the election did restore a bit of my faith in the this whole "democracy" thing we've got working in America. It was nice sipping champagne with Stanley and Alicia to celebrate in the early morning hours here in Dubai. We all agree that it was quite a bit more fun than our experiences four years ago when we watched those (horribly depressing) election results roll in...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

for realz. I'm pretty darn steamed at cali too at the moment, i mean, who could vote against lt. zulu's right to marry another old queen? everybody loves star trek... but i am so freaking excited about obama i am fit to burst!