Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Since you asked…

I was tagged (with some skepticism about whether I would respond) by Midge over at Lipstick & Legalese to list six quirks about myself, and since I have nothing better to do on this lazy afternoon in lovely Penang, I figured I’d go ahead and prove her wrong…

Six Emily-Quirks:

1) Feet: I have major issues with (other people’s) feet. I’m not comfortable having other people’s bare feet anywhere near me, and am DEFINITELY not OK with said feet touching me in any way. Ew.

2) Slugs: I have an extreme (completely irrational) fear of slugs. It was more than a year after the baby-slugs-on-my-organic-bok-choy incident (Oh my god… I’m pretty sure the neighbors thought I was getting ax-murdered from the screams of terror coming from my apartment…) before I was able to feel OK cooking with bok choy again… and even then I made sure to get it pre-packaged just in case… I know rationally that they’re not going to chase me down and kill me or anything, but they seriously freak me out. [Shudder]

3) The OCD thing: I guess to say that I’m a little bit OCD is to make a massive understatement. I’m a huge fan of schedules, lists, structure, planning, and order… and I schedule my meals 2-3 months in advance (which is totally practical because then you can put your grocery lists in your PDA and always have the right ingredients around to make delicious food)… I’m working on this one inasmuch as it occasionally interferes with my ability to experience spontaneous fun, but I still think some facets of it are very practical and just result in good time-management and organization skills….

4) Football: This is pretty much a variation on (3) I suppose, but I am a bit of an obsessive NFL fan(atic). As an unsuspecting Canadian in KL discovered, I will go ahead and spend several hours discussing football with you in great detail if you don’t stop me… and I bought an adorable little computer for my trip just to be sure I could still stream all the Bucs’ games even as I was backpacking through southeast Asia… The thought of missing Weeks 2-5 of the NFL season was almost enough to make me re-think this trip (which, yes, is ridiculous)… I think it’s safe to say that I care a little too much…

5) Repetition: In yet another variation on (3), I have a tremendous capacity to enjoy the same thing over and over and over again without getting tired of it… This is evidenced by things like the fact that I’ve listened to You & Me by The Walkmen over 100 times (at least) since I first heard it about a month ago (and I’m still listening to it as I type this), that I’m currently re-reading Sometimes a Great Notion for the 10th or 11th time, that I went ahead and watched The Wire in its entirety a second time right after the first time I finished it… This comes in handy with cooking for myself, though, since I really love having leftovers and never get tired of eating the same (presumably delicious, since I made it…) meal more than once or twice….

Wow… Six is a lot… Ummm….
6) I guess I’ll throw in my love of Boy Bands and High School Chick Movies here… In both cases I started out enjoying them somewhat ironically, then ended up thinking they’re genuinely totally and completely awesome. Have you listened to the Hangin’ Tough album in its entirety lately? Great freaking album, dude… (I’m can’t wait to see the New Kids in Portland in November…) and I think It’s Gonna Be Me is one of the 5 greatest pop songs of all time… I also never get tired of Drive Me Crazy, Center Stage, Step Up, and Ice Princess, all classics in the genre.

That was harder than I thought… I’ll tag Stanley over at SalazMeyer and Maggie over at Papaver Jewelry and see if they’ll play along…

2 comments:

Midge said...

Well color me surprised, I thought you wouldn't answer this. Now I know to keep my feet away from you!

Unknown said...

hey! u found the tag, now i suppose that I should be "it" and write a post...