Monday, January 17, 2011

Everyday Yumminess: Chorizo con Huevos

I've been re-organizing my chest freezer lately, trying to make sure that I actually use everything that's in there at some point. To this end, I set my sights on the homemade Mexican Chorizo that I'd vacuum-sealed and frozen a while back... (I have lots of ideas for Spanish Chorizo, but was having trouble getting creative with the Mexican version...) I'm going to go ahead and say that this is one of the best pulled-together-from-stuff-in-the-freezer-and-pantry meals I've ever made for myself...
OK, so the Pico de Gallo ingredients required a trip to the store... but I had the Mexican Chorizo and some delicious homemade Refried Beans in the freezer, plus eggs, masa for tortillas, and sour cream that I thinned to imitate Mexican Crema.
I figured that, while using up the Chorizo, I could also start playing with slow-cooked eggs until I achieved perfection, since I hadn't made them again after I got my Sous Vide Supreme.
For this round I went with 62.5°C for 50 minutes. They were almost perfect, but I think I'll try 63.5°C tonight. I dig how the yolk gets kind of custard-y instead of just runny. I'll try to remember to take a picture of how cool the eggs are this time...Meanwhile, I squeezed the chorizo out of its casing and smooshed it into a single layer in a skillet.
After one side browned, I flipped it to cook the other side. When it was almost done, I added a scoop of refried beans to warm and pick up some of that chorizo-y goodness from the pan.
While that was going on, I also made a batch of fresh corn tortillas. (As always, I used Rick Bayless's recipe from Mexico, One Plate at a Time.) I'm a huge fan of flatbreads, and my favorite flatbreads are the ones that puff up when you do things just right...
So, that's it. All of the prep was done while the eggs slow-cooked, everything was mounded on a plate, faux-crema and tortillas were set out, and I had a totally awesome feast in front of me.
Not bad for a last-minute idea as I tried to clear out the freezer for another trip to Blood Farm... Glad I have enough ingredients to do this again tonight.

No comments: