Sunday, April 11, 2010

Everyday Yumminess: Kale Chips

I've been buying more than five pounds of kale every week for over a year, but I can't honestly say that I'd ever thought to use kale as anything more than rabbit food until yesterday. Turns out baked kale chips are totally effing delicious. Who knew? (This is another recipe I was inspired to make after reading about it over at smitten kitchen.)
Kale chips are super-simple to make. Just rub kale leaves with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and spread them out in a single layer on a tray. (You should remove the stems, generally speaking, but I was screwing around with an idea for a presentation, so I left them on this time...)
Bake in a 300°F for 20 minutes or so, until nice and crispy...
And you have yourselves a nice batch of kale chips.
The reason I left the stems on was that I saw Dan Barber's version and how he served his chips in a glass. I thought it could be a kind of cool edible centerpiece at an appetizer table... or something.
The stems are a bit too tricky to maneuver around, so that idea may need to distill a bit more, but the take-home message is that kale chips rock, and that you should go make some right now. You can thank me later...

No comments: