Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bunnies al Fresco(-ish)!

So, there are still a couple feet of snow covering the yard, but I decided to get the bunnies some fresh air today. I set up a litter box and a rug on the porch, sat down in my reclining patio chair, and observed the cuteness. Perhaps the most adorable moment I captured was after I had gone in to fetch a hoodie (55°F only felt warm enough for a T-shirt until the wind kicked up):
My sweet, sweet Charley immediately stole my chair (and was not particularly happy to give it back to me) and had his eyes on the prize. His single-minded pursuit of treats is incredibly charming. When he gave up on the raisins, he decided to look out on his brothers...
Rico is never quite as happy about new places as Charley. When he felt safe, he hopped around a bit...
...and showed off his cute white belly while washing his face.
When these five minutes of fun became too overwhelming, he went back to the mat and took an (adorable) nap.
As I only realized during a bonding experiment a while back, my guys like to have one of their litter boxes around, even if they're free to poo wherever they'd like. This ended up being the setting for some of their cutest moments. Here's Charley grooming Pedro like there's no tomorrow (while Rico naps adorably):
And Pedro, after that grooming session, completely blissed out and disheveled:
Rico snagged the litter box when it was empty, but soon Pedro hopped in behind him and Charley tried to squeeze in as well. Poor Rico...
I love the progression on Rico's face from "Grumble grumble..." to "Can you believe what I have to put up with?!?" to "Seriously? I'm the one who has to move now?" Soon he was kicked out of his very nice napping spot entirely...
As time wore on, Charley went into his running-around-maniacally-and-repeatedly-leaping-over-Rico persona, which soon prompted Rico and Pedro to snuggle in a relatively safe-from-the-crazy-bunny space...
Can't wait for the snow to clear so they can all frolic in the grass again. I still can't get over how amazing it is to see the three of them so happy together. I realize now that, for the 14 months I was working on bonding them, they had become a source of stress. I was constantly trying to figure out ways to get Charley and Rico to stop trying to kill each other. Now that they can coexist so peacefully together, it feels fantastic to just sit back and see the bunny love in action...

No comments: