Friday, February 4, 2011

A Bit of a Hiatus... I Guess...

As has most likely become obvious over the last couple months, the culinary adventures around here are few and far between lately. With Tampa's NFL season over, this means the blog is very much in danger of just becoming a blog about my (awesome) bunnies... so I figured I owe an explanation. Basically, things lately have been not-good. Extremely not-good, in fact. It seems that my cyborg parts have turned against me, and I am having difficulty dealing with the aftermath.(Perhaps the picture is over-dramatic. Heh.) My pain started rapidly getting out of control in mid-November. For assorted reasons, and after taking several data points, it became clear when I was in Portland at Christmas that this rapid escalation in pain was due (at least in part) to my cyborg parts. While they were able to mask pain up to about a 6 on the pain scale, they were simultaneously making the underlying pain worse and worse... such that it was typically more than the cyborg parts could mask. I hoped that by leaving them turned off things would shift back to a more manageable level, but that hasn't really happened. The last few weeks have been some of the worst... ever. I plan fun things to cook but, when it comes down to it, two of the last three weekends I haven't been able to leave my apartment to go to the grocery store (and the one time I went resulted in my pain level spiking and many regrets about not just asking for help). Luckily I have awesome friends who have been willing to go buy veggies for the bunnies when I can't... but I'm still left without my usual ability to buy great ingredients and in too much pain to spend any real time in the kitchen.

I honestly don't know what's happening (and, unfortunately, neither do my doctors). The pain has never been this intense for this long in the past. If this is a permanent situation then I'll have to find a way to deal, but I'm holding on to a tiny shred of hope that that's not the case. It's a bit scary right now... and it's extremely frustrating that 3 surgeries and 5 months of excruciating back pain were either (a) all for nothing or (b) responsible for making things much, much worse... possibly permanently.

Anyway, the bunnies make me happy, and I will continue to post about them because that's often the only fun thing that's going on around here... and I'll post about fun cooking whenever I can. I've got a huge queue of awesome things I can't wait to make... Speaking of bunnies, let's end this post with an old picture of happy springtime Charley, because it always puts a smile on my face to see my little Mr. Crazy-Pants frolicking...

No comments: