Thursday, December 9, 2010

So...

... there's this rabbit named Dennis.
As you may have guessed from the picture, he is a very handsome bunny. As you also may have guessed from the picture, he is living with me right now... (What you can't tell from the picture is that he has an adorable white belly and the most expressive ears you will ever see...)
I made a promise to myself (and to the party poopers among my friends and family) that my house can only become his forever-home if he can become friends with Rico. I think there's a chance, but both are pretty jumpy so it may take a little time. I introduced them for the first time last night.
Rico was pretty nervous, based on his experiences with Charley, but Dennis did well ignoring him and just hopping around rubbing his chin on everything in sight. (We were in the bathroom, since Dennis is currently living in the room I usually use as neutral territory.)
Dennis is pretty skittish in general, so he became less self-assured once Rico got brave enough to hop around. Eventually Rico was so nervous about Dennis that he freaked out... which led to Dennis freaking out... which led to me realizing why all these other people who bond rabbits wear protective gear on their hands. (This was never an issue with my toothless lops...) I think we can make this work, though. Both Rico and Dennis just need to calm down and feel safe. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, here's a picture of what bonding is all about:
These two met maybe 5 times before they were in love... If only all bunnies were so easy.

No comments: