Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why I Don't Cook

Back in February, I jumped on the bandwagon of a brief internet meme and wrote about Why I Cook. As Emily's Culinary Adventures has yet again morphed into Emily Writes about The Bucs and Bunnies, I figured I should go ahead and post about why I don't cook when I don't. I try to minimize the amount of time I spend talking about medical issues here, but sometimes that's difficult when they are acting as the dominant factor in my life. I bought the world's most awesome portable wheelchair a few months ago, much like the one pictured below except in red (Go Bucs!)...It's been pretty life-changingly awesome from the moment I got it, and became more so about a month ago when I started using it at work every day. Unfortunately, sometimes that's not enough. I feel like I'm sort of perpetually chasing some bus (where in this metaphor the bus is "not having to deal with pain all the time") but each time I get near the door the bus pulls away and drives off down the street again.
When I first opted to have my cyborg parts installed, the amount of pain management they could provide would have solved a lot of problems. By the time (a year later) that they were working properly and not causing debilitating back pain, they weren't enough anymore. It was a few months later that I started using my wheelchair on a regular basis, and it felt again like it was too little too late. It helps SO much (as do the cyborg parts), and yet not enough. I couldn't even have attended the conference I went to last week without my chair, but I was still dealing with more pain than my cyborg parts can mask and more than I can handle gracefully just from minor things (e.g. walking from my bed to the sink to get a glass of water) where it wouldn't have been easy to use my chair. Which... yeah, brings me back to the cooking thing. I have a fantastic cooking stool that I got in Australia, which is the perfect height for sitting during basic prep. I think the primary problem is adjusting to using it during my cooking routine. When I'm in a rhythm in the kitchen, I don't have the time or inclination to move a stool around... but it's become increasingly clear that I need to do just that if I want to continue cooking elaborately fun things without making it hard to make it through the next day...

So... I'm planning on a pretty cool Thanksgiving spread, during which I will practice using the cooking stool, and I've got a couple awesome cookbook recipes scheduled in the following weeks (plus, perhaps, a couple science experiments in the kitchen). Hopefully I can get better at using the cooking stool and get back in the kitchen more often. It's certainly not that I don't want to be there... I just don't always know how to get there.

Anyway... That's why there have been so many Bucs and Bunnies lately. I'm working on it.

No comments: