Friday, January 1, 2010

Bunnies!

After 10 days away, it's good to be home with the bunnies. They are even more adorable than I remembered. For instance, behold the awesomeness of Pedro stuffing his face with hay:When I first brought him home, Pedro was not a big hay-eater. Thanks in part to the fantastic hay from Sweet Meadow Farm, though, he (obviously) is a huge fan of hay now. You can see Rico there, eating his hay like a dignified bunny, thinking "See what I have to put up with?" When they're not nomming on hay, there are good snuggles to be captured on film as well.
Charley remains crazy and clever and awesome. He figured out how to get over the 24"-high puppy gate I had up while I was away, and even managed to get past it when it was reinforced with a 30"-high fence. (He was locked up except when my friends who were feeding him came by, so even though he quickly ran into the kitchen on both occasions, he was just as quickly returned to his side of the fence...) I'm taking advantage of the 4-day weekend to transform him into more of a free-range bunny. He's a very good litter box user, and I think he's ready to at least be free all day (if not all night, too, yet). He still enjoys sitting on things, which now includes getting up on top of my desk and hopping on assorted keys...
Luckily for him, he's so adorable that I don't even mind that he interrupted my movie to open several different windows before locking my computer... When he's not hopping around like crazy, or lounging around in assorted adorable positions, Charley spends his time chewing on the fence that separates him from Rico and Pedro, or vigorously digging at and shaking that fence. He REALLY wants to go play with the other bunnies. The problems with this approach are that (a) even if he had teeth he could not chew through the metal fence and (b) he seriously freaks out Rico and Pedro when he does this. They stay at least 10 feet away most times, looking at him like he's a lunatic. Here is Rico, leading Pedro on an expedition into the hallway to examine the crazy bunny:
I'm no good at this bonding thing so far. Rico seems terrified of Charley at times, and Pedro consistently tries to kick Charley's ass. (This is the exact opposite of how I saw those two reacting.) My current working theory is that Rico is so very handsome that he's scared to get in a fight, for fear that injuries would detract from his handsomeness... Otherwise, I have no idea why the only rabbit with incisors is the one who runs to cower in the corner. It breaks my heart to see Rico so nervous, so I'm not forcing things yet. My hope is that they'll get to know each other a little through the fence (once Charley stops acting like a maniac) and then we can transition to more risky scenarios. Rico hopped out into the hall last night on his own to rub his chin on some things, and seemed to figure out that he's safe when Charley is on the other side of the fence. I'm going to go ahead and consider that a good start...

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Love the Bunnies. They are so Amazing.