Monday, November 16, 2009

Week 10 Bucs Post (@ Miami, L 23-25)

In one sense that game pretty much sucked. The viewing experience left me feeling extremely hostile and heartbroken. Looking at it another way, though, the fact that I felt so miserable after the game is sort of awesome. By the time the Week 7 loss to the Pats rolled around, I was completely numb. Apparently 11 straight losses (dating back to an embarrassing Monday Night Football loss to the Panthers in December of 2008) is enough to deaden that fire within that makes a fan a true fan. After the improbable win against Green Bay in Week 9, though, that fire appears to be back. I was yelling profanities and filled with hostility (just like the good ol' days) when Tampa got robbed on an atrocious call towards the end of the first half. I was yelling and celebrating with random strangers in a bar when Tampa scored the go-ahead touchdown with 74 seconds left on the clock. And I was angry, heartbroken, and depressed when the defense let Miami march down the field to kick a chip shot field goal for the game. Sigh...
My favorite non-game-related moment of the broadcast was when Josh Freeman fumbled away the snap (again). The brilliant statisticians put the following caption on the screen: "Josh Freeman. 3 fumbles lost. Least in the NFL." Haha. (Apparently Caption-Guy didn't realize that this was only Freeman's 6th quarter of football, here in week 10...) The kid looked like a rookie at several points, particularly in the first half, but his touchdown pass to Stovall was a thing of beauty, and he was looking pretty clutch in the fourth quarter as the Bucs fought back from a 10 point deficit. I remain optimistic. The rookie mistakes (fumbled snaps, taking bad sacks, etc...) are easy to correct with experience. The way he can scramble, the strength of his arm, and his poise are things that can't be taught. I'm glad we have 7 more games to see if he can be our guy. I really hope he can...
Bring on the Saints! (Heh... I keep trying to imagine a scenario in which the Bucs can win that game... I'll let you know if I think of one.)

No comments: