Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fortnightly Bunnies

My posting about the week after my birthday is about 4 days late, but I promised bunnies, so I figure I should deliver...
I don't have many pictures lately, because much of the cutest behavior takes place when I'm sitting/laying on the floor hanging out with them and they're climbing on me and being adorable, which is hard to capture on camera since I have bunnies on me and since they tend to hop up to the camera and stick their little faces in the lens to see what's going on...

Here's Pedro pouting in the pet carrier after some mean lady gave him a (partial) bath:
When Pedro was done with his full-on pouting, he started doing one of my favorite things bunnies do: washing his face (second only to the simultaneous yawning-and-stretching move these guys both do that absolutely kills me...). I especially love watching lops wash their face because of the cuteness of how they "comb" their ears... Aw...

After seemingly having a change of heart for a few months, Rico is a very angry bunny again lately. I think this started when I put him/them on a diet (because Rico is obese and Pedro has some digestive issues). I didn't cut back much on their food, but Rico seems to have decided that this is Pedro's fault. He's back to growling and nipping at me and Pedro when he feels like his food is delayed, and he lunges at spinach leaves when I hold them out to him (prompting me to explain "You don't actually have to attack it, baby... It's not going to run away."). This morning he stood at the cage door and wouldn't let Pedro back into the cage after I put their morning veggies in there, and when I tried to calm him down he just growled at me and backed off a little to defend the food pile from further inside the cage. There was a pile of spinach and carrots in there half the size of his body, but he didn't want to have to share. I feel so bad for Pedro when Rico acts like this. I really never knew rabbits could growl until I met Rico. Pedro seems to recover pretty quickly from these episodes and can be found snuggling with Rico as soon as they've finished eating, but I'm sure it contributes somewhat to his nervous disposition...
Hopefully with some extra snuggles and some time Rico will learn to calm down a little. He really does have a giant (adorable white) belly, so I think it would be irresponsible to feed him extra food just to placate him... Speaking of which, here he is with a situation more to his liking: the whole pile of greens all to himself (while Pedro was still pouting in the pet carrier)...

I was noticing lately that I seem to have settled on nicknames for my little guys. Historically, I seldom call my pets by their actually names (Eduardo often went by "dork-butt" and "stupid-head," used as terms of endearment, of course...). In this case I seem to instinctively call Rico "baby/babe," " cutie," and "fatty," while Pedro goes by "cutie" (it's equally applicable to both bunnies) and "sweetie." I'm feeling sad about abandoning them for 9 days to go on vacation, but luckily their brains are the size of cashews so they may not even notice and they certainly won't remember a month from now...

No comments: