Monday, May 4, 2009

About Rico...

I know I just posted some weekly bunnies, but I mentioned to Sarah the other day that most people seem to pick Pedro when I take a "Which of my adorable rabbits do you think is most adorable?" poll. I figured this was because Pedro is so dumb and fluffy and has such floppy ears, but Sarah suggested it may also be related to the way I paint a picture of Pedro being a sweety and Rico being sort of a jerk...
Thus, I felt I should mention that Rico has changed dramatically in the last few weeks, and has replaced his aggressive nip-at-anyone-who-may-be-preventing-me-from-getting-my-veggies-NOW demeanor with actually doing joyful little binkys when he sees me come into the kitchen in the morning. (I suspect this has more to do with his understanding that cranberries are imminent than with how much he loves me, but it's still just about the sweetest thing I've ever seen...) I think one of the biggest things to prompt this change was to figure out that Rico is a pretty sensitive little guy, and our situation was not unlike a story my mom tells about my experience in math class in 1st grade. (The comic below has little to do with anything, except inasmuch as it involves math and both amuses and saddens me...)

"How It Works" (from xkcd)
Anyway, apparently when I was 6 years old I thought that my teacher hated me. This was because whenever he came around to help people individually during math class he would skip me. If my brain had been a little bigger I might have realized that this was because I didn't need any help (I was pretty awesome at math) but, as it was, it took my mom going in to a parent-teacher conference, explaining to the teacher how I felt, and having the teacher be like "Oh! Of course!" after which he started to come to my desk just to tell me I was doing well or whatever (since I still totally didn't need any help) to keep me from feeling left out.
This is pretty much what had been happening with Rico. I hand-feed Pedro all the time because he doesn't have his front teeth and some foods are hard to get into his little mouth just using his adorable little bunny tongue. I always see Rico as being strong and independent, and he can pick up a whole carrot (well, a whole baby carrot) in his teeth and hop away with it if he chooses, so I used to just put a pile of good stuff in front of him (feeling proud of him for his independence) and focus my attention on Pedro. I finally noticed that, during Banana Time, Rico would actually hop away and pout in the corner (foregoing his favorite treat!) if I wasn't supplying him with bananas fast enough due to Pedro distracting me. After this I started to hand-feed Rico, too, and it's totally changed his personality. Apparently even clever independent bunnies like to be spoiled rotten...

In summary: Rico isn't a jerk anymore. He's totally a sweetheart, and he is my buddy.

1 comment:

maggie said...

that is adorable. And just goes to show that animals both think and have little bunny feelings to get hurt!