Sunday, October 19, 2008

I'll Take It...

Not to be greedy, but I had hoped that things in the Bucs game would go a bit better. Winning is nice, and winning 20-10 is fine (although it's not enough to cover the 10.5 point spread and thus left me owing my brother a tasty beverage)... I just would have liked to see a bit more domination... Here are my random thoughts on this game:
  • I didn't like seeing the Bucs give up a touchdown with just under two minutes to go (see above comment concerning spread-covering), but I like the fact that the Bucs still haven't given up a rushing touchdown this season.
  • Jeff Garcia looked great in this game, just like the guy who was every Bucs fan's hero last season. Regardless of his claims that he was healthy enough to play in Week 2, a comparison of his play in the last two games to his play in Week 1 shows that that's not really the case. I'm glad to see him fully healthy again, and to see that he and Gruden seem to be making peace. I really do love watching Garcia lead this team.
  • The rise of Antonio Bryant (pictured above) is really fantastic to see. He made some great catches and I loved getting to see Garcia go deep to somebody again. When Galloway comes back in the next week or two, this passing game could be scary-good.
  • I usually enjoy Cris Collinsworth, but I didn't appreciate his comments about Jerramy Stevens. He said that Stevens has a rap sheet that just keeps getting longer and longer and that Stevens really needs to watch himself. That's just not true. The suspension Stevens served at the start of this season related to an off-the-field issue that happened while he was still in Seattle. By all accounts he has been a model citizen and a model teammate since coming to Tampa. He's been huge for us in several games, and I'm glad to have him on the team.
  • Hilliard scared me when he went down after that catch. That looked pretty bad, and I was relieved to see him stand up on his own rather than being strapped to the board they brought out. I thought it was funny how the crowd booed Holmgren for challenging the call on the field (Hilliard had been incorrectly ruled down by contact, when in fact he had trouble hanging on to the ball after he lost consciousness) once it was determined that Hilliard would be OK, as if they felt Holmgren should let us keep the ball because of the injury.
  • I'll come right out and say it: I don't see this Bucs team losing again this season. The schedule is a bit soft, and this team is extremely talented. It will be great to have a bye in the first round of the playoffs.
OK. That's all... Hard to say too much about picking on a team as decimated by injuries as Seattle has been, but I liked what I saw from most elements of this Bucs team, and other parts (I'm looking at you, special teams) showed they have room for improvement before next week's game. All in all, though, this game left me with more to feel good about than to feel bad about, so I'll take it...

No comments: