Monday, September 8, 2008

Well... That sucked.

Sigh. I'd almost forgotten what it feels like to wake up at 3am just to go on an emotional roller coaster that ends with my heart getting ripped out before I would normally even be out of bed... This was my last 3am football-watching Monday in Melbourne (though I still have a few crazy-early Monday games I'll be trying to stream on my trip...). Call me an obsessive fan, but NFL football was one of the main driving forces for me to move back to the US (along with being closer to my friends and family (hi, guys!), even though some of that family ended up moving to Dubai, which sort of messed up that part of the plan...). As a football fan(atic), it is so much nicer to get your heart ripped out at mid-day in a pub filled with other yelling football-obsessed people than to have it happen alone in your living room at six in the morning... Even in Santa Barbara where I was one of only three Bucs fans at Madisons every Sunday, it was sort of awesome to have like-hearted people there to celebrate and suffer with you...

Anyway, I could write a 10-page treatise on the reasons I loathe the Saints and another on all the little ways today's game could have turned out differently, but that would prove only mildly cathartic for me and deeply boring for anybody who ventured to read it... Instead, I will just say these 6 things:
  1. The running game looked pretty good, and it was nice to see that Warrick Dunn still has some moves left in his old age. I think he's a nice complement to Graham (and Bennett, if Gruden ever lets him back on the field) and I'm glad to have him back.
  2. Barber put a few solid hits on people today, which was fun to see. The defense right now has a really nice mix of amazing veterans (Brooks and Barber most notably) and impressive youngsters (Barrett Ruud, Tanard Jackson, Gaines Adams, and now Sabby Piscitelli, most notably). I think this unit has the potential to be special. They can't afford another injury to Brooks like happened today, though...
  3. Special teams looked awesome, particularly on return coverage. Always good to see...
  4. Ike Hilliard is, unfortunately, still our most solid possession receiver playing next to Galloway. Somehow after all the talk of Clayton having a great camp and preseason, we're left with Antonio Bryant as the (pass-dropping) starter? Hmm... I'm hoping somebody who isn't close to retirement can step up soon, and I wish it would be Michael Clayton...
  5. Garcia looked pretty sketchy today. I choose to be encouraged by this, assuming it's due to rust from barely playing in training camp and the preseason and that he'll be amazing starting next weekend. Still, hard not to turn on him a little, given that he brought all this off-season drama on himself with contract complaints, only to come out today and badly miss his receivers on several occasions...
  6. In case you have any doubts, let me clarify for you: The Bucs are still going to win the Super Bowl this year. It will be so nice for the city of Tampa to host a Super Bowl in which the Bucs emerge victorious. Really looking forward to that.
Next week (home opener vs. the Falcons) I'll be in Singapore, trying to catch the game at 4am... Here's hoping my hostel's internet is at least good enough for me to stream the radio broadcast, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for video...

In other news, my movers came this morning and my apartment is now almost completely empty. As of now it really feels like I'm leaving Melbourne... Sigh... This week I'm pretty much just hanging out enjoying my last few days in this awesome city while taking care of the requisite final stuff of moving (cleaners and final inspections and whatnot). Had some farewell drinks a the neighborhood pub on Friday to celebrate my last day of work... farewell drinks scheduled at another pub tomorrow night... then a final farewell dinner this Friday before I move into a hotel room by the airport for a night and get ready to set off on my adventure. When I was little I was infamous for extending the celebration of my birthday for weeks on end... Apparently I have a knack for doing that with farewell celebrations as well. ;-)

2 comments:

Stanley said...

Nice. "I don't really want to get into it...I'll just mention these six things..."

Just watched the Panthers game from archives. I knew the score but not the scenario. Cheered me up a little from contemplating the disaster that I've just learned will be the Seahawks season.

emmo said...

I was watching that Panthers game while the movers were here... They kept laughing at me because I was getting so frustrated and muttering profanities when it seemed clear that the Chargers were going to win... Then that last drive by the Panthers was *awesome*.

Definitely helped a bit with the heartache of the Bucs opening the season 0-1... ;-)